- 1 lb Skinless chicken breasts (bone in or boneless for cooking)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsps Olive oil
- 8 Jalapeno chiles
- 2 cups Onions (cut into large pieces)
- 1 lb Zucchini (cut into large pieces)
- 6 cloves Garlic (minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons))
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsps Ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups Kitchen Basics unsalted chicken stock
- 3 tbsps Fresh lime juice ((from 2 to 3 limes))
- 1/4 cup Minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 Scallions (white and light green parts sliced thin)
- 2 tbsps Dr. Sears' Zone Extra Virgin Olive Oil ((1 tsp/person))
- 3 small Apples
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add chicken, and let cook about 4 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn chicken and lightly brown on other side, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- While chicken is browning, remove and discard ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos; mince flesh. In food processor, process 2 jalapenos, and half the zucchini and onions until consistency of chunky salsa, 10 to 12 1-second pulses, scraping down sides of work bowl when needed.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
- Repeat with remaining jalapenos (saving 1 for finishing the chili), zucchini and onions; combine with first batch.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to Dutch oven and reduce heat to medium.
- Add minced jalapenos, jalapeno-onion mixture, garlic, cumin, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Transfer 1 cup cooked vegetable mixture to now-empty food processor bowl.
- Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup broth and process until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add vegetable-bean mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, and chicken breasts to Dutch oven and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large plate.
- Stir in remaining beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are heated through and chili has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Mince remaining jalapeño, and set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding any bones.
- Stir shredded chicken, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and remaining minced jalapeno (with seeds if desired) into chili and return to simmer.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil stirred into each bowl.
- Have half an apple.
Zone Products In This Recipe: